HistoryPRINT THIS ARTICLE
In 1956 the Christian Brothers founded St Leo’s College as a school for boys. The first Headmaster was Brother Crohan. In 1956 there were 118 students in Year 3 to Year 6. The Brothers established a strong foundation and the College was highly respected from its early days. The Brothers developed the site to include two ovals. The current St Leo’s community is indebted to the Brothers for the strong Catholic foundation that was established for the College.
In 1983 the Christian Brothers passed control of the College to the Archdiocese of Sydney and the College became coeducational, with the first girls enrolling in Year 11 in 1983 and Year 7 in 1984. Upon the departure of the Christian Brothers, the first lay Headmaster was appointed. When the newly created Diocese of Broken Bay was formed, the College came under the jurisdiction of the Catholic Schools Office, Broken Bay. Pastoral
In the 1980’s the College undertook an extensive building program including the creation of the Brother Crohan Library and the Brother Berg Building, incorporating a multi-purpose hall and extensive art and hospitality facilities. Subsequently, in 1989 the Brother Crohan Library was constructed.
In 2002 a new Technology Centre was constructed placing St Leo’s at the forefront of technological learning. The Light of Christ Centre was opened in 2012, providing high quality sporting facilities for the College.
The College is currently working on an extensive and strategically planned Building Works program for both the benefit of staff and students with the first three stages already completed. This work has included upgrading the College Science Laboratories to state of the art learning spaces, refurbishment of three general blocks of classrooms, renovation of the College Library and Technology Hub, development of the new Green Outdoor Recreation Area and the creation of a new Administration Area. Stage 4 of the Building Works program includes the establishment of a new Student Services Building and the creation of a new Hospitality Hub with further plans being developed for Stage 5 of the Building Works program. These facilities enhance teaching and learning at the College.
In 2016, we proudly celebrate 60 years of Catholic education at St Leo’s Catholic College. The College looks to the future with great anticipation and hope continuing its tradition of 60 years of quality learning. The College motto, Lex Dei in Corde – God’s Law in the Heart, lights a path for us to follow God’s law, witnessed by Christ, to “act justly, love tenderly and walk humbly with your God”.